Tuesday, April 14, 2009

75 hours < 30 days

As you may have noticed (or not), I'm back to eating solid foods. It was a very difficult week for lots of reasons, but I'm still pretty pleased with the outcome.

I like the cleanse and understand the concept and benefits of fasting, but it really wasn't working for my current situation. Perhaps if I was single or away from my family for a while this would have been a lot easier. I was strongest when I could focus on myself and what I needed, but that wasn't feasible for much of the time I was on the master cleanse.

I made it through that third day by sheer willpower (which was nice to confirm I had). Upon some friends' suggestions, I tried a laxative tea that night and saved the salt water flush for the next morning. I started early so that I could be "normal" by the time the kids woke up, but I was still knocked down at 10 am. In fact, I only climbed out of bed when the din of the kid's foraging their own breakfast became too loud to rest comfortably.

And that's where my biggest concern lied. I didn't like the person I became on the cleanse. Since I was stressed with having to be in the kitchen near food, preparing food but not being able to eat food, I started taking it out on the kids. I knew I needed to keep my distance, I wanted to keep my distance, but I wasn't able to in our current lifestyle situation.

And I didn't like how the kids were faring. If I was doing this to be healthier and teach good food values to my children, it was running counterproductive to them eating more food out of a box or having nothing but four slices of toast for breakfast because I wasn't there to help them.

Then there was my preteen daughter, who became interested in what I was doing and was blown away by the idea that I wasn't going to eat again until Mother's Day. I would rather she formed solid, healthy habits when it comes to food instead of getting the idea that she can eat garbage and "make it all better" by eating a selective diet for a week or two. Again, this may be easier if I didn't have so many young, impressionable eyes watching me.

So, I feel good about the three days I was able to accomplish. I know I cleaned out some gunk and the lemonade is still yummy enough to have a cleanse day once a month or something. I'm still trying to release all the water I'm retaining from the two days the salt water flush didn't work.

The kids, hubby, and I are happier and more contented now that we're all on the same program and we don't have to make different things for different family members. We're now on the program of healthy, organic foods (which was my intention all along) so it really looks like everyone wins. The kids have even become focused enough about it that they've written down recipes from cooking shows that they want to try.

I'd call that a success.

No comments: